Tuesday, January 12, 2010

JUST ONE OF THE GUYS

It's been a pet peeve of mine for years when girls pretend to like sports, football in particular so they have an excuse/ reason to be out drinking in a half top with Tom Brady's number on the back. We call that "just one of the guys syndrome." My group of friends in college didn't understand sports and we didn't pretend to either. I've been sticking to that story for the past decade or so and been quite content.
I must mention that over the years football hasn't been completely useless in my life. If I am ever having a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep...there is nothing like a football game on TV in the background. There is something about the sound of the sportscasters voice combined with the referee's shout outs that make me want to take a nap no matter where I am or what I am doing. And when I hear the fan's blowing the horns in the stadium I am surely out like a light. I have spent many relaxing/ lazy Sundays with the game on in the background.
Within the past few years, I will admit that it has come to my attention that there are a few rare exceptions to my rule. Apparently some girls really do like to watch sports and some even claim to understand what is going on. My friend Caitlin is not one of them...she knew Tom Brady played for the Pats, just like I knew. But, she didn't know what position either.
This season I decided to try something new. I decided to become a Pats fan...I picked my favorite player: Vince Wilfork. I picked him to avoid the "just one of the guys syndrome" as much as possible. He isn't the hottest and he isn't the most popular. He is big and sloppy and easy to spot on the field! I even bought a Patriots jersey to wear during the season and it was tight! (not a half top, but tight)...
As most of you (just one of the guys) know play offs were this past Sunday. "Wild Card Weekend" if you will. It was a disaster for real and pretend Patriots fans alike!
I certainly picked the wrong season to pretend to like football and I have to be honest I am very glad the season is over. Ready to move on to more important things now like American Idol and the Bachelor.

No comments:

Post a Comment